California Sexual Abuse Attorney – Michael Rehm
Child Victim Advocate – Clergy/Priest/School/Teacher Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Free Consultations – (800) 978-0754
If you are a victim of sexual abuse, call Attorney Michael Rehm to find out how the law has changed in California to protect victims of these outrageous actions.
Effective January 1, 2020, California has amended the current law surrounding Childhood Sexual Abuse cases, providing more access to the courts for the victims. Specifically, Code of Civil Procedure 340.1 was amended, and some of the following changes were made:
- A three-year revival window was opened for claims that were previously time-barred due to the statute of limitations, starting on January 1, 2020.
- The time in general to bring a lawsuit under CCP 340.1 was extended from the age of 26 to 40.
- The age requirement for obtaining a “Certificate of Merit” in order to file a lawsuit was extended from 26 to 40.
- It added a new subsection of the code, which states: “(b)(1) In an action described in subdivision (a), a person who is sexually assaulted and proves it was as the result of a cover up may recover up to treble damages against a defendant who is found to have covered up the sexual assault of a minor, unless prohibited by another law.”340.1(b)(1)
- Treble Damages triple the amount of compensatory damages.
This list is not exclusive, other changes were also made, but the important concept is that the Legislature and the Governor took strong action, based on strong public support, to provide victims of Childhood sexual abuse access to the court system.
Examples of common causes of actions filed in these cases are:
- Sexual Battery;
- Penal Code violations – the specific code section is specified in the complaint;
- Gender Violence, under Civil Code 52.4;
- Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress;
- Negligent Supervision;
- Negligent Retention/Hiring;
- Negligent Failure to Warn/Train/Educate;
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Civil Code 1573 – Constructive Fraud
- Civil Code 51.9 – Sexual Harassment
The entire 340.1 Code of Civil Procedure section can be found here.
For more information on the law, and how Childhood Sexual Assault Attorney Michael Rehm can help, and for representation all throughout California, call (800) 978-0754.
Attorney Michael Rehm - Boy Scout Abuse Lawyer - Counselor/Therapist Sexual Abuse Attorney - Daycare Abuse Attorney
FREE CONFIDENTIAL CONSULTAITONS - (800) 978-0754